Monday, December 21, 2009

Shine Some Light on Your Work...Your Life


At 9:47 a.m. PST I lit the Winter Solstice Candle and welcomed the return of the sun while outside the sun was slowly burning through layers of cloud. Though the sun burns bright 24/7, from our perspective it seems to disappear at night, to be barely there on a cloudy day, or begins to grow weak after the Summer Solstice until we reach today, the shortest day of the year. Without this spinning ball of perpetual fire we wouldn’t be here. It is for this reason that the sun is a metaphor for the Creator. So in acknowledging the birth of the sun/son we acknowledge our source.

During this season of holy days I’ll take the time to appreciate the myriad of traditions and see from my wide angle lens that they are all about the return of the light. They are all about a time to begin again, to be reborn, or to be renewed. It reminds me that there is only now and now I can make a different choice and be reborn into a new way of being. There is no such thing as a dead end in life. What seems to be ending is an opening into something new.

This is something I need to remember when I’m writing. Sometimes I feel closed off from my source of inspiration or I’ll look at what I wrote and hate it. Instead of getting angry, which only closes me off more; I’ll look at the sun and remember that my source of inspiration is always available even if I’m not open to it. I’ll also remember that I can always begin again. If I don’t like what I wrote I can just delete it and start over knowing that what I didn’t like was just me priming the pump making way for the good stuff. There is no need to get angry. I can always close my eyes and see what I can come up with next.

I’ll leave you with this quote about how Christmas is a meld of many traditions. Think about your life and writing in these terms too. It’ll give you an interesting perspective. Have a wonderful season filled with many holy days.

"Shall we liken Christmas to the web in a loom? There are many weavers, who work into the pattern the experience of their lives. When one generation goes, another comes to take up the weft where it has been dropped. The pattern changes as the mind changes, yet never begins quite anew. At first, we are not sure that we discern the pattern, but at last we see that, unknown to the weavers themselves, something has taken shape before our eyes, and that they have made something very beautiful, something which compels our understanding."
--Earl W. Count, 4,000 Years of Christmas

2 comments:

  1. Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog. This is a fabulous post. Weaving stories is a process- sometimes you have to pull out a thread and re work it, but nothing is lost. As you say, you are priming yourself for a better weave. :)
    Cheers~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nancy. Sorry to be slow responding. Still trying to figure this out.

    ReplyDelete